There was a time when PC meant just one thing – a set consisting of monitor, system unit and peripherals. However, such a single-choice concept will be horrible now, we bet! In past years, particularly the past two decades, there was a revolutionary change in design and availability of different computing devices, which accounts for dawn of some of popular computing devices of today – Laptops, Tablet PC and Smartphones! And, desktop personal computer, which was the pioneer of personal computing are almost out of discussion. However, these three options seem very much confusing when it comes to users’ point of view. When they want to buy a computing device, say, for professional or educational purposes, they are stuck among these three choices – Laptops vs. Tablet PC vs. Smartphones.
The reason is simple that some devices in the group may provide you more productivity than you expect a typical gadget in that category to be. For instance, it is not surprising to know that an Apple iPad will be much productive than a laptop with lower configurations. Surprisingly, even some experts get into this sphere of confusion when it comes to buying such a product. This is why we decided to do a comparison between Laptops, Tablet PCs and Smartphones so that you will get a clear idea about standard purposes of these devices and which is best for you! Also, we will view these devices from different perspectives, such as that of portability, price etc. First, despite the fact that it will be unnecessary for most readers, we will have an introduction on these three device categories.
As you know, laptops are personal computers, which are meant for mobile usage! Since laptops do not have wires or lengthy cables attached, it is easy to carry. Depending on main purpose, laptops may be sometimes called notebooks or notebook computers. Now, based on size, some special sort of laptops are also available. Ultrabook, which comes with less thickness and SSD, is an example for this. Laptops are available in variety of screen sizes, which ranges from 10 or 11 inches to 15 inches. User can choose the preferred screen size with accordance to principle purpose as well as budget. Now, however, we will move on to pros and cons of laptop devices when compared to others in list.
Pros of Laptops
- Laptops provide fully fledged computing experience, particularly when you have a device with big screen.
- You can do everything you do in your desktop computer, including playing games, accessing internet etc.
- Sometimes, you can do something, which are not possible using desktops. If you have one device with touch screen, productivity will be something high.
- It has high processing power when compared to Tablet PCs or Smartphones.
- You can use CDs and DVDs!
- You can get unleashed Gaming experience if you have sufficient configuration.
Cons of Laptop
- Laptops are comparatively expensive. Yet, you can find exceptions.
- Due to high processing power, battery consumption of laptop is quite high, Even in the case of the top laptop brands, you can hardly use the device for more than 6-7 hours unless you have a MacBook with you.
- When compared to Smartphone or Tablet PC, Laptops are tough to carry. Though its main intention was use in different locations, it has some limitations.
- Despite being labeled ‘mobile’, you might have some issues due to the relatively high weight of laptops.
We put tablet PCs in the middle section because devices included in this category are in between Smartphones and Laptops in terms of size and productivity! However, it should be noted that Tablet PC of today is quite different from what has been called Tablet PCs a few years. Obviously, rise of mobile operating systems such as Android along with iOS and Windows 8 has done a contribution to the current revolutionary role of Tablet PCs among gadgets. Screen of Tablet PCs do not have size of a laptop; they are smaller as Smartphones neither. Most Tablet PCs come up with a screen of 7 inches or more. Unlike laptops, Tablet PCs have on-screen pop-up keyboard instead of physical one.
Recently, Tablet PC world has seen a rise of hybrid devices, which are meant to be both typical Tablet PCs and laptops. You will have to connect a keyboard cum stand to make it look like a typical laptop. These sorts of hybrid devices are built on Operating Systems like Windows 8, which are made for both PCs and mobile devices. Now, we will have look on pros and cons of Tablet PCs.
- When compared to laptops, Tablet PCs are more portable. Less weight and moderate screen size are notable reasons for this portability.
- Mediocre processing power, which is enough for accessing internet, capturing pictures, etc.
- Tablet PCs have more battery power when compared to laptops. Less battery consumption is due to number of reasons including less processing power, small-sized screen and lightness of purposes!
- When you want to convert your gadget into a book reader or movie player, a Tablet PC will be better than a Smartphone in terms of screen size and portability when it is compared with laptops.
- And yes, Tablet PCs are less expensive than a laptop. Unlike laptops, you will be able to grab a Tablet PC for a pricing range of $100 and $1000, despite the fact that delivered quality will be different.
- For some users, touch screen keyboards will not be that easy to manage, especially if they’re accustomed to physical keyboards.
- Tablet PCs may need you to (there are some strong exceptions) use a desktop or laptop for a complete level of productivity, such as for synchronizing your favorite music or movies.
- When it comes to heavy gamers, experienced offered by Tablet PCs are not that good, especially if company has put some heavy bloat ware into the device.
- Most Tablet PCs do not have voice-calling feature.
When mobile phones transformed themselves to ‘Smart’ phones, there were number of notable changes like missing physical keyboards (well, there are some Smartphones that have physical keyboard), all-new UI, presence of apps as well as rise of Smartphone operating systems including Android, iOS, Windows Phone and minor ones! Now, it’s hard to choose a Smartphone from market due to abundance of devices, which come up with variety of applications and a number of operating systems. Now, we will move on to pros and cons of Smartphones when there is a comparison between laptops and Tablet PCs.
- Most portable device in the list and it is due to its smaller size. It is portable enough to suit pockets of pants or shirt.
- Availability of variety of applications that will make your Smartphone even smart.
- Upcoming features to suit our techy life.
- Superb gaming experience in high-end Smartphones.
- Dedicated applications to suit purposes of business persons.
- Small size of device may be insufficient while you want to watch movie or read eBooks.
- Smartphones are not suitable for heavy works.
- Just like Tablet PCs, Smartphones need help of a desktop or laptop to be complete!
Also, it is worthwhile to mention rise of devices that are included in Phablets! These devices, which have a big screen size when compared to typical Smartphones are best for professionals.
The Final Decision
While reconsidering what we have said, choosing between these three options is a tough task, indeed! However, in a diplomatic way, we can have a conclusion. If you need a device for voice calling, internet access and variety of apps, you should go for Smartphones. On the other hand, if your main intention is eBook reading, media viewing, easier access to internet, and others that require big screen, the best choice will be Tablet PC. Unlike both, laptops will be your cup of tea if you need high-end processing power, big screen, physical keyboard etc. Which device in the list do you use most? Do let us know using your comments.