Let’s discuss key problems of visitor’s conviction applied in different structure elements of online shop. eCommerce On many websites main page – Home Page is the most visited. Here visitors decide what they will look on the site and how to interact with it. If main page of the site doesn’t catch visitor’s attention, and doesn’t convince him that the site is very useful and interesting, then, he won’t have a desire to visit other pages of this website, and very soon he will leave this resource.
To illustrate the importance of this problem, let’s look at 2 examples:
1. In the one site main page attracted more than 60% of incoming traffic. Many people visited page to see whether this online shop offered a certain group of products they were looking for. But as this information was presented ambiguously and was lost in the flow of other text content, potential clients that were ready to make an order left the site immediately. According to our calculations, if on the front page the information about available products was presented on the fore, the site conversion would have automatically increased twofold.
2. On the site of one firm specialised on landscape design, front page has only one navigation panel with short block of text content which tells very abstractly how good it is to have your own green lawn in front of the house which is decorated with landscape design. The percentage of refusals on the front page was very high. The reason is obvious.
Front page that doesn’t have enough convincing power is a serious problem. Firstly, site will not bring clients, especially if the potential client at first came to front page. Secondly, people disappointed with their first visit of the site are more likely to never come back again. Statistics says that visitors tell about their unpleasant visit 5 times more often than about pleasant one.
If it is difficult for you to reconstruct front page, use one of web analytical systems to visualise the behaviour of visitors on the site. You will have information about what you need to change on the page and then motivate visitors to do certain actions.
Remember that actions of making your front page a tool of visitors’ conviction must be all directed to achieve one global goal – to make a client from a visitor. In simple words, ideally visitor must immediately start the process of product purchasing, no matter how soon it will be finished – now or in several weeks. When the visitor has just come to the front page, it must make him more interested in the product.
You must control the behaviour of visitors from front page to order page. Though every page of the site has its individual functions, they are all connected between each other. With every new visited page visitor must get interested more and more and feel more desire to purchase the product.
Your goal is to provide visitors with opportune reception of optimal amount of information according to purpose of the page. Optimise the pages that users visit the most often, that have the most popular search requests. Why you need it? It is simple: if the visitor comes to the page by search result “programming books”, and then sees a big list of books of different computer themes, he may leave the site and search somewhere else. So, try to prevent such situations.
But the information the user needs must be placed on the most convenient place and it shouldn’t be divided into fragments all over the site. You can’t effectively convince the visitor if he jumps from one page to another chaotically trying to find the information he needs.
Here is the example:
Very often we observed the following picture: user visits the site, looks at several pages and then links to the page with order form, then suddenly leaves it and starts to look through the pages he has already been. And he may do it twice and even more times but still won’t fill in the form. Do you know what these actions mean? Visitor hesitates, he doesn’t feel confidence in his choice, that is all.
No one will know for sure in what sequence the visitor will visit the pages on your site. Don’t think that by optimising 2-3 key pages you will receive significant improvement. If every page of the site is maximally interesting and useful for users, they will easily interact with website regardless of what page they visited first.
Often web masters try to find the reason of ineffective site work, checking some little things. In fact the level of efforts may be much more significant. If you hold visitor’s attention and stir up his interest while he is surfing throughout the site, you can double your site’s conversion.
But don’t make the effort to optimise everything too fanatically. Even if you make every site element very motivational, visitors will still leave the site by unknown reasons. Remember it and work qualitatively but within the bounds of common sense.
Here are some advises of how to make the process of filling the form easier for visitors:
1. On the page of product order add a link to product description. It is necessary for customer who hesitates about purchasing a certain product – he may return and look at product description one more time.
2. Place reduced picture of the product in the web form. The psychology of customer’s behaviour is that when the client has visual contact with desired product, the probability of a purchasing is much higher.
3. Afford your client the opportunity to edit his shopping cart without leaving the page of product order. Customer may incidentally double his order and it will be much easier for him to cancel the second order without leaving the current page.
4. Provide with ability to make order by telephone. When the client can’t fill in the form for some reasons (lack of time, other difficulties), and the site offers to finish the order by telephone, it is very motivating.
5. Don’t use ready web form templates. It is more advisable to adjust it for your web resource. If you don’t know programming well enough to do it, you can use some web form generator like PHPForms. When you will think what fields to add, try not to congest it. It must be maximally simple for users and the process of filling the form must be fast and pleasant.
6. Near the fields where customer needs to enter confidential data, argue the necessity of this information – this will make him more confident in reliability of your online shop.
Online marketing is always a process convincing your clients. With the help of eCommerce software you can make a significant boost in online shop efficiency.