The lack of an official launch date isn’t stopping people from counting down the days until they’ll have the iPhone 8 in their hands. With only a handful of weeks, until the world hopes to see it hit shelves, leaks of its newest features and possible production problems flood the web. The daily deluge of links makes it hard to catch sight of anything beyond what the 8 promises for Apple’s future as it buries any news outside of the 10th anniversary handset.With all eyes on what lies ahead, few took notice of the Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) reflective report on U.S. iPhone sales in Q2.
Published at the end of July, the CIRP’s study revealed impressive stats regarding the iPhone 8’s predecessor. The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus accounts for the lion’s share of sales for the Cupertino-based tech company. Between April and July of this year, the iPhone 7 comprised 47% of Apple’s iPhone sales. The iPhone 7 Plus comprised 34% of its sales, resulting in a combined total of 81% of Apple’s iPhone sales in the U.S.
As the 7 line saw a marked increase in sales, legacy models, such as the iPhone SE or 5S, saw a decline. Perhaps news that these generations would not have access to the latest iOS 11 upgrade motivated people to make the jump, as 34% of people bought the 7 or 7 Plus in order to ditch these models.
That doesn’t explain why nearly another 30% upgraded from the 6 line — which will receive the iOS 11 update. Revealed to be the most used smartphone around the world back, accounting for 8% of smartphone browsing worldwide, it failed to surpass the 7 line in terms of sales.
Even better news for Apple is the number of Android users making the switch to the 7 or 7 Plus. Roughly 20% of those buying the latest generation previously owned Android phones. Though this makes a minority in sales, the figure is up from Q1 by roughly 3 percentage points.
The 7 line’s ability to surpass legacy models comes as a surprise, despite a relatively strong Q1 for the generation. Let’s face it—the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus didn’t wow Apple fans.Despite its September 2016 release, people are already tired of the 7 line. It offered very few noticeable upgrades in design and performance. In fact, its most memorable changes were those that consumers were quick to remedy.
Those that ordered the 7 and 7 Plus in Jet Black realized their mistake quickly, as the glossy backing picked up every smudge and scratch in 1080 resolution. Many of those concerned with the look of their smartphone appealed to companies like dbrand for help. Known for its exclusive supply of the coolest decals possible, dbrand offers a variety of signature styles that aren’t available anywhere else. Its custom iPhone 7 Plus skins cover up the scratches made in the Jet Black finish with an application that takes less than 5 minutes to complete.
The 7 also came without the typical headphone jack, forcing users to rely on cloud-based AirPods in order to listen to any audio. Though it’s a design feature that is most likely to remain in the 8, many consumers opted for a headphone jack adapter to avoid fumbling with these loose and easily lost AirPods. Luckily, any iPhone 7 skin from dbrand accommodates the use of these adapters; however, it requires its users to lug around another cord they need to bring with them everywhere.
Considering these minor yet unavoidable flaws, many would think smartphone buyers would wait for the iPhone8 to upgrade, rather than rely on the 7 to replace older legacy models. It does suggest a hopeful projection for Apple’s remaining quarter as the 8 launches sometime this year. But the fact remains, so far, the iPhone 7 series is a huge money maker for Apple.